Wednesday, September 14, 2011

On the verge

I've got two days left at my current job. It's a strange feeling. Every other time I've left a job for a new adventure I've felt a bit of trepidation about the new job or the commitment that comes with it. In fact, when I took the job I currently have, I recall actually freaking out in a QT gas station because I figured this was it. I was locked in for at least five years and I would likely retire with this job... or so I thought. 

Now 2years and 9months later, I'm rolling out to Tulsa and while I'm probably the least prepared for this adventure than I ever have been before, I'm feeling excited about strolling out of this job and this city. 

It's odd to look around my house and know that my days here are numbered (3 days!) and that when I leave I'm not coming back. Ever. There are moments when I want to lay on the floor in every room and soak it in, try to absorb it and all of it's memories before I got, but then I remember that I didn't forget the house when I went to college. And who I knew and what I did while here don't fade away just because I'm going some place else. If we spend our lives longing for the joy of yesterday, we never really enjoy today, and we'll never really see tomorrow.

Song for the day (and the move): Wild World - Cat Stevens
When I was 12 riding in my father's Mazda to my 7th grade parent teacher conferences, Wild World played on the radio. Papa sang along, like we usually did, and in between the first two verses, he paused to tell me that this was his song for me. Some day, he said, I'd move, I'd get married or I'd go off to college and settle down somewhere else, and it'd break his heart, but that was ok because that's what little girls are supposed to do.  When we got to the school, I couldn't manage to get my door open. Prompting my dad to tell me "I don't have high hopes for these conferences. You have to be smarter than the door." 

No comments:

Post a Comment