Monday, February 20, 2012

Newspapers and dust

I'm settled in.  The house has curtains, trash cans (more expensive than they deserve to be...or at least feel like they should be), a microwave, and rhythm.  It's all going so well until I realize that it's not.  I work two jobs, which while is preferable to being in debt or feeling like I can't quite hack it (my mother is quite pleased with the notion that she won't have to pay my bills or see me back on her door step), is providing very little time for me to think about typing things.

I put curtains up this week.  It was a great stepping stone in to making the house finally feel like the home it's becoming. The entire time I was thinking about the fact that I should be blogging. I did not then go and blog.  I went and ate a pizza, played Sims 2 Pets and went to bed with a purring bedwarmer on my chest. Bedwarmer has bad breath.  I know this because BedWarmer wants to rub not his face but his teeth on me a lot. Almost all the time.  I started thinking about that and I stopped worrying about a blog.  I started worrying that BedWarmer was going to realize that I don't think of him by his name. He'll realize this and then he'll start talking/crying about how I don't use his name and then he'll not play with his new toys to boycott my non-use of his name. Eventually, I'm sure he'll tear in to the newspapers in the kitchen.

And poof. I'm not even thinking about blogging now. I'm thinking that when he tears in to the newspapers, I'll be super mad and super sad at the same time and despondent, because really the fact that he hasn't yet is probably only due to the fact that they smell of 26 year old newspaper, dust and nicotine - they smell of my dad's closet.

The newspapers are ones that my dad saved from when the Cardinals made a run for (and I'm guessing they won) the World Series in '85.  (My brother mentioned this and now I can't not think it: Isn't it a bit pretentious to call it the World Series when it only accounts for the US leagues? I mean, the World Cup actually competes on a global stage.... why not the World Series. Time to rename it.)  When we were growing up, Dad told us about the papers, but none of us cared that much about baseball. Now that Dad's gone... well... now we want to see what was so important.   I've only just started rummaging through, but he's got papers from other major events too from 9/11 to "the Flood of '93", which in St. Louis and most of Missouri was almost the end of the world.  All of those newspapers reminds me just how important newspapers, real newspapers, are to being able to tell our tales to our posterity once we're gone. Our grandparents saved papers, and so have our parents. It's a snap shot of history well worth remembering.

Once I finally get done sorting through these papers I'm going to explore my own attic. It's blocked off and I want to know why...

 Song for the Day: the Number one today in '85. Careless Whisper by Wham!

No comments:

Post a Comment