Wednesday, December 09, 2009

It's beginning to feel a lot like...

winter.
It's a blustery 30 degrees outside. WINDY.  and COLD.
I sit relatively warm, in my office with a giant freaking window and can watch the snow build up while I'm supposed to be working. It's quite the view. Grey sky over grey buildings and tiny white specs like the world's reception has gone fuzzy. I'm sure every other adult in the office is lamenting what traffic will be, and is complaining about the dismal sky. 
For me though, this is what I live for.

I am reminded of my years in college and the drive across the state to get up north to Northwest Missouri State. There are tons of nearly deserted two lane highways that take you through small towns, over hills and wind you around farms. I almost always found a way to make this drive at night. I could plan to leave home at 6 am and wouldn't wind up making it out the door until sunset. Countless times I managed to leave St. Louis just barely in time to make it to my first class the next day. My favorite drive was on a January evening. I was the only car on the road for miles and in the deep dark of a Missouri night it snowed heavy lumpy snow. 
There is a sense of quiet peace when it snows, as if the world collectively grabs the blankets and cuddles up with a cup of hot coco and a good book or turns on the radio for quiet session of the Prairie Home Companion.
Song for the day: At Christmas (you guessed it) Hanson.
"Snow's falling down as you step out of your car
Present in you arms and you've traveled far
Someone opens the door with a smile on their face
And you know you've come to the right place

Family nestled by the fire
Christmas hopes to inspire
Loved ones by your side
You know you'll kiss your babies goodnight..."

No comments:

Post a Comment