Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snow Blanket!

I have long held tight to my theory that snow is nature's way of curling up in a blanket, that snow is God laying down a blanket and enouraging the world to slow down and savor the quiet. Maybe I can hold to this theory because my home doesn't get six feet of snow, maybe I hold on to this because at most a foot of snow and ice each winter, Welcome to the lower midwest... the weather kind of sucks. I think I've held to this theory the most because every animal pauses and hunkers down with friends and family or their favorite thing when it snows and waits for things to settle. Birds stop flying, squirrels settle in with their favorite nuts, dogs grab their favorite bones and cozy up by the fire or close to their master's feet. Everything stops. Everything cozy ups. Even wool blankets get softer.
All day long it has snowed soft clumps of cold cozy. I've had one of the best views of it all day long. It's a slow snow so it hasn't built up on streets but we've got a few inches built up on bushes and lawns. 
After the last two weeks, I've needed a good reason to curl up with a good book, some good jazz and my favorite pet and blanket.

I haven't listed a song in a while, so there's the song that's been stuck in my head as of late...
Georgia on My Mind - Ray Charles  (I kid you not, Ray Charles is a genius. If you somehow don't have this, go buy it on iTunes NOW. I'm serious.)

Georgia, Georgia,The whole day through,
Just an old sweet song,Keeps Georgia on my mind

Yeah, Georgia, Georgia,
A song of you, Comes as sweet and clear,
As moonlight through the pines
Other arms reach out to me, Other eyes smile tenderly,
Still in peaceful dreams I see, the road leads back to you
I said Georgia, Ooh Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind

Other arms reach out to me, Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see, The road leads back to you
Georgia, Georgia, No peace, no peace I find, Just this old, sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind
I said just an old sweet song,
Keeps Georgia on my mind

No comments:

Post a Comment